How to Become an Event Planner 2022:- Being an event planner entails more than just arranging parties; it also entails developing programs that address the client’s intended goal, message, or impression.
Event planners put in long hours to design and execute the intricacies of nearly every meeting format, including private seminars, public conferences, industry trade exhibitions, and staff retreats.
The Event Planning Industry
Global corporate events generated more than $1 trillion in direct expenditure and supported 10.3 million employment, according to a 2018 analysis by the Events Industry Council. In terms of total event output, the United States was first, followed by China and Germany.
Professional planning is divided into three categories by the US Bureau of Labor Statistics: meetings, conferences, and events. The median annual pay for each category of planner was $49,370 in 2018. 2 The specific responsibilities that planners are responsible for will vary based on the industry, but all planners are normally responsible for the following:
- Meet with clients to learn why a meeting or event is being held.
- Plan the event’s details, such as the date, time, and fee.
- Invite venues, caterers, and other service providers to submit bids.
- Visit locations to confirm that they are usable and meet the standards.
- Rooms, menus, product giveaways, transportation, and other services should all be coordinated.
- Ensure that everyone is happy by overseeing all activities.
- Examine bills and invoices before approving payments.
Meet with clients to learn why a meeting or event is being held. “Celebrations such as anniversaries, reunions, and other large social gatherings, as well as corporate events such as product launches, galas, and award ceremonies, will be coordinated by event planners. Nonprofit event planners organize large-scale events with the objective of raising funds for a charity or advocacy group. Banquets, charity runs, and food drives are examples of events.”
How to Become an Event Planner 2022
Also Read: Best Jobs Opportunities in The World 2022
Event Planning Skills
Event planners must have a wide range of abilities in order to be successful. First and foremost, they must be excellent communicators both verbally and in writing, as well as possess superior organizational and time management abilities. They must also have project management experience and the ability to multitask.
Event planners tend to be self-starters who work well in groups and can remain calm and likeable under pressure. Negotiation, budgeting, and staff management abilities, as well as the ability to connect with all levels of management, are all required. When it comes to venue selection, catering, production, entertainment, presents, transportation, housing, and conference services, successful event planners have acquired senses.
People who work in event planning come from a wide range of occupations and educational backgrounds. A bachelor’s degree in hospitality management, business administration, marketing, public relations, or communications is preferred by many businesses. Many meeting planners, on the other hand, begin their careers in other fields or through administrative positions that entail meeting planning responsibilities.
Tips: Consider taking the Certified Meeting Professional (CMP) test or earning your Certified Government Meeting Professional (CGMP) title if you want to improve your credentials. Convention, meeting, and exhibition event planners can earn the CMP and CGMP credentials. How to Become an Event Planner 2022
Also Read: How to Write a Mission Statement 2022
The First Steps
Plan your transition into event organizing the same way you would your next event: with a strategy and thorough documentation. Begin by following these steps:
- Volunteer with a non-profit organization or another business, such as a food firm, florist, event designer, or another event planner, to earn useful experience.
- If you’re already helping another event organizer arrange events, start taking on more responsibilities. It’s often as simple as requesting more work from your boss during your next event.
- To network, join organizations such as Meeting Planners International or the International Live Events Society.
- The more people you know in the field and the more ties you form, the easier it will be to advance your career as an event planner. How to Become an Event Planner 2022