Computer Network Advantages and Disadvantages;- Computer networks today have become one way to share information as systems are wirelessly linked together using a common network. I’m sure you must be aware of what computer networking really is. In the post “Advantages and Disadvantages of a Computer Network”, we are going to study in detail about the advantages and disadvantages of a computer network, but for now, let’s focus on the differences.
One of the main advantages is that it enhances connectivity and also provides better information by making use of instant messaging that allows users to send files in a real time environment which benefits business while there are serious security threats that can be seen that go along with the use of the computer because the majority of people are using a shared network and can This could pose a security threat to one or some of the users.
Another major advantage of using computer networks is the convenient sharing of resources where big companies do not want to waste their resources and make sure that they are used properly among a common group of people while they lack autonomy i.e. users will become idle if the system or the main file server collapses.
The advantage of using a computer network is its cheap cost because installing networking software on the device will not cost much and it will be an effective way to share information between peers. Also, there is no need to update the software regularly, whereas if you choose not to manage your computers using a network, you will incur a significant installation and setup cost for your system which will be an expensive deal. Also, you will need to constantly monitor for compatible versions of the OS which also adds to the overhead cost.
One advantage of using a computer network is that it boosts storage capacity. Since the data has to be shared between peers, you need to make sure that it is saved in the right way. Moreover, if you combine a bunch of systems together, you get the added benefit of increased memory storage which is not the case if you choose to connect your computers in another way.
Another advantage of computer networking is its cost of joining systems together as a single entity while in the absence of computer networking the cost of merging systems together as a single entity goes up because there are individual systems that need to be monitored and installed.
Key differences in Computer Network Advantages and Disadvantages
Both Computer Network Advantages and Disadvantages performance are recommended options in the business. Let us examine some of the key difference between Computer Network Advantages and Disadvantages:
- One of the major differences is related to the storage capacity available. In case of networks there is an increased level of storage capacity but if you talk about the setup with no computer networking in place the available storage capacity is comparatively quite less as there are individual computer systems involved.
- Other key difference lies with the communication as in case of computer networks as they can easily share files, presentations, data or any other important business-related document which is a hard task to do over a non-network based environment.
- The network-based computer topology is an inexpensive method to implement the group of computer systems where the resources are shared and the overall overhead for individual computer components is reduced as a majority of the tasks are done with the existing resources. It’s another way of utilizing maximum resources with minimum investment but in case of a non- network-based computer system, the cost of bearing additional machines and using them individually for every task at hand becomes a cumbersome and an expensive method.
- The systems arranged in a computer network fashion can be accessed from anywhere and this is one of the biggest advantages of connecting your machines in a network-based topology. This gives an additional boost to the business as which are on the go as all the information and data can be retrieved and accessed at any point of time but if your systems are not arranged in a computer network then this thing won’t be possible for you.
- When the machines are accessible in a computer network, then everything stays updated as all the peers keep on communicating with one another and keep themselves updated with the latest updates which one system might have but in case of individual systems, the changes made on one system will not be reflected over other systems and hence they are not synchronized among themselves and hence, not updated.
Computer Network Advantages and Disadvantages Comparison Table
Let’s look at the top comparison
|The basis of comparison||Advantages of computer networks||Disadvantages of computer networks|
|Communication||An effective form of communication||An ineffective form of communication|
|Resource sharing||Convenient resource sharing||Less effective resource sharing|
|Flexibility||A higher level of flexibility||Low flexibility|
|Operating cost efficiency||Efficient||Inefficient|
|Storage capacity||Boosts storage capacity||Limited storage capacity|
|Security||Less secure||More Secure|
|Independence||Lacks independence||Systems are more independent|
|Robustness||Lacks robustness||More robust|
|Viruses and malware attack prone||More prone to attacks||Less vulnerable|
|Requires efficient Handler||More technically sound person needed||A person with basic skills will do|